As most people have figured out by now, I share my office space with four dogs. Over the years, I’ve worked in offices with humans and dogs and I’ve decided that dogs are much easier to work with. Here’s my list of the top 10 reasons dogs are better office mates than humans.
10. Dogs don’t spend all day surfing eBay or questionable sites that play stupid music.
9. Dogs can’t whistle while they work.
8. Dogs don’t like speakerphones. It’s okay if you’re talking, but if someone else is talking back through the speaker, it needs to be woofed at to tell it to shut up.
7. Dogs like quiet. The sound of typing is soothing to them and helps them sleep
6. Dogs don’t judge you by how much money you make and aren’t jealous of your salary. If you make enough to pay for the dog food, everything is fine.
5. Dogs know that when you say “no,” you really mean it. They don’t go talk to your manager.
4. Dogs are trainable. You don’t have to explain the organizational chart more than once. (If you want the dog chow tonight, I’m the CEO.)
3. Dogs don’t criticize your work.
2. Dogs don’t care what you are wearing. They think the concept of “dressing for success” is stupid. Dogs like it when you wear comfortable shoes because they make better pillows than high heels.
And the number one reason dogs make better office mates:
1. Dogs never schedule “informational” meetings because they can’t talk.