A friend of ours who lives in a tropical clime had a beautiful Great Pyrenees puppy that the whole family adored. They discovered too late that the shrubs around their house were poisonous. The puppy had apparently been chomping on the leaves and died. The family subsequently had all the plants removed.
Pet proofing doesn’t end inside. Poisonous plants can be a risk outside as well. So without further ado, here is a list common outdoor plants that could be poisonous to your pet:
Daffodils, skunk cabbage, fox glove, ground cherry, soap berry, rhubarb, spinach, tomato vine, buttercup, water hemlock, mushrooms, moonseed, angels turmpet, jasmine, morning glory, periwinkle, rhododendron, lilly of the valley, nightshade, bleeding heart.
Certain trees and shrubs also can be a problem. Watch out for horse chestnut, pain tree, all types of yew, English holly, balsam pear, almond, peach, and cherry.
If your pet is inclined to eat plants, be sure to remove the plant or the pet, so the animal can’t get at the plant. If you suspect that your pet has eaten any type of poisonous substance, be sure to contact your veterinarian immediately!